Still buying shampoo? Conditioner? Body wash? At the beginning of the summer, so was I, until I did some research.
Hair care products cost Americans hundreds of dollars per year, with each bottle being up to 10 dollars. And a LOT of these contain carcinogens and harmful chemicals. Not to mention, many of them are sold in difficult or impossible to recycle bottles.
So if it’s so hard to find safe products, what can you do? Chances are, the answer is in your kitchen.
In late June, I began washing my hair with apple cider vinegar (less than $2 per gallon) and baking soda (less than $1 per box), and switched to bar soap to wash my body, which you can find at your local health food store or drug store. Since then, I’ve felt just as clean, if not more!
This method of personal care is super easy and affordable, and you’ll know you’re treating your body right!
Here’s how to use baking soda as a substitute for shampoo:
- Mix 1 part baking soda to three parts warm water in a bottle (I wouldn’t advise using a jar, as it could break while you’re in the shower) and shake well. When all the baking soda has dissolved, it should look like regular water.
- In the shower, pour it over your hair and, if desired, massage it into your scalp(it won’t foam up like regular shampoo).
- Let it sit in your hair for 2-3 minutes. During this time I like to turn off the water and wash the rest of my body while I wait.
- Wash out the mixture thoroughly. Repeat if your hair doesn’t feel clean enough. Warning: Do not get the baking soda mixture in your eyes!
Here’s how to substitute conditioner with apple cider vinegar:
- Combine 1 part apple cider vinegar to 1 part water and mix well.
- In the shower, pour over your head (careful not to get any in your eyes) and rinse out immediately. You should notice that your hair will feel smoother. To the skeptics: your hair will not smell like vinegar all day! The smell should go away once your hair is completely dry.
Something to consider: This method won’t work for every hair type, so I encourage you to do some research to find what works best for you!
An alternative to baking soda is something called castile soap, a natural soap made
of oils, such as jojoba oil, coconut oil, and hemp oil. It smells great and foams up just like shampoo!