So my family has this chronic problem of purchasing excessive amounts of fresh herbs and then forgetting they’re there and letting them rot in the fridge. As an aspiring zero-waster, this is something I’ve really been trying to address, first and foremost by getting creative with what’s in my fridge rather than going to the store to buy more food. Ultimately, this will be better for the environment, but will also be good for our wallet.
Anyways, last week I noticed that our herbs were about to go to waste again. There were two bunches of dill and parsley as well as some kale sitting in the fridge waiting to go bad. So instead of throwing them in the compost, I decided to make my own pesto. While it didn’t taste like your typical pesto, it was delicious and added a little extra nutrition to my family’s meals for the week.
If you are interested in transforming your herbs from trash into something tasty, here is the general outline of the recipe I used:
1/4 cup of nuts(traditionally one would use pine nuts, but I used walnuts and
1-2 bunches of desired herb(you can really use any herb, and can mix sprigs of other
herbs in as well. I did this with some basil and rosemary from my garden)
2-3 garlic cloves
coconut oil or olive oil
Parmesan(or any other hard Italian cheese)
Salt and pepper
Optional: Spinach or kale
- Toast nuts in a toaster oven or in a pan over medium heat. Do not add oil
to the pan. Once toasted, place into food processor.
- Wash herbs and greens. Cut off any odd or undesirable bits. Coarsely chop herbs, and place in food processor.
- Shred cheese(amount is up to you) into food processor. Peel and cut lemon into quarters. Remove seeds and cut up desired amount of peel into small pieces or shave lemon zest and squeeze juice into food processor.
- Add desired amounts of oil, salt, and pepper into food processor (the more oil, the smoother).
- Process until it has reached desired consistency.
This recipe is versatile, and so is the food! Once I made it, I mixed some of the pesto with cooked potatoes and made a sort of pesto mashed potato. The next day, I had it with eggs. The day after that, I had it with pasta.Yum!